RE: FC4 - Eclipse problem

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Java,
> I used the installation of Sun 1.50 using the
> jpackage pathway
> and not the /opt and have gotten Eclipse to work
> with the *original*
> distro with Eclipse v3.1 port. But even so, I
> downloaded and installed
> the J2EE (WST 1.0) feature and got this somewhat
> working, the perpective
> J2EE works, all the bells and whistles appears but
> the problem is that
> the Tomcat and other JAS servers fluttered badly in
> the wind and just
> flat out does not work.  I complained bitterly about
> this and of course
> FCG got defensive about it - and to be fair - the
> same problem directly
> from the eclipse.org group has the same problem on
> FC4 but not on Windows
> so the problem appears to be the WST package not
> working under FC4.  Bugs
> galore are in the eclipse bugzilla and are being
> worked on (I hope)
>
> Now, I updated Eclipse port v3.1.1 on FC4 and
> *knock-knock on wood* it
> runs however - all the stuff I downloaded (updates)
> were stripped and the
> features (as WST) was stripped.  So expect a FULL
> NEW installation!  So
> I updated everything I could.  At least in this
> version, the updates worked
> where in v3.1 it worked half-assed. :-o
>
> When I started up Eclipse v3.1.1, all of a sudden -
> my previous J2EE perspective
> fluttered badly - and was no longer supported - sigh
> - so my thought was to
> see if I can add the WST 1.0 feature back into the
> /usr/share/eclipse directory.
>
> Ahh... dang.... untarring/unzipping the wst-1.0
> (root=eclipse) into /usr/share
> added the wst files in feature and plugins
> directories but then nothing
> happens at all.  So using the Help->Software
> Updates->Manage Configuration,
> clicking 'Show disabled Features', scrolling to 'Web
> Standard Tools Features 1.0'
> and attempting to enable it will result: 'Requested
> operation cannot be performed
> because it would invalidate the current
> configuration. See details for more
> information' - the details says: 'This site is not
> updatable: /usr/share/eclipse'
>
> It appears the fedora-port somehow prevents these
> new 'features'
> from being enabled.  Seems that Eclipse under Fedora
> is
=== message truncated ===

Hi Dan,

Actually, I am using FC4 with an Intel Pentium D EM64T
processor. Well, it seems like the best I can do for
while is to "forget" trying to run Eclipse on FC4.

Many thanks!
Hoffmann

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com