Re: UDEV questions

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 21:09 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> The docs I've read are ambiguous. Some claim you have to have
> the trailing spaces, others indicate you don't. I haven't check to see
> which is more recent. In any case, I've experimented with both and
> gotten no luck.

Try it without the vendor information, then.

e.g. BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{model}=="3200JB External", SYMLINK="WD%n"

> I've also tried setting bus to USB. Also no go.

I went down that route trying to sort out a flash drive.  I wanted it
mounted noexec, and with the execute bits masked out, as well.  So that
meant using a custom rule instead of letting Fedora work everything out
automatically.

If you look at the output from one of the udev testing tools, you'll see
different identifying details in the USB section than the pseudo SCSI
section.  You can't mix and match.

These are the rules I use for my devices:

BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{model}=="USB Flash Driver", SYMLINK="flashdrive"
BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{model}=="CAMERA PDC1320  ", SYSFS{vendor}=="POLAROID", SYMLINK="camera"

Notice I opted for simplicity (specifying enough not to mistake for
other devices, but not all the things I could have listed), and how I've
entered some data that included spaces.  I copied and pasted that into
the rules, just in case there was something that looked like a blank
space, but was actually some other character.

The NAME= bit is redundant, as far as I can see.  I certainly haven't
needed it.  I use the symlinks for myself (that's what my fstab entries
use, whatever device it actually links to).

I read messages from the public lists.