Entering non-ascii characters in terminal

On my home FC4 machine I have directories in English and in Hebrew.
For instance, I have the usual /home/user but in there the directoriy
names are in Hebrew. When I open Konsole I can type switch to Hebrew
via Shift-Space like I do in any other program. How can I do this in
the regular terminal? (CTRL-ALT-F6 for example)

Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/question/what_is_a_firewall.html