Re: Speeding Up Java Graphics (JVM)

Brian D. McGrew wrote:

> We're doing some work in Java, running under Sun's JVM and driving the
> graphics card with images while the CPU is at a decent load.  As our
> images grow in size the drawing slows down.  The 640x480 stuff is good,
> the 1280x1280 stuff is alright but the 2048x2048 is unusable.
>
>>From a hardware / (operating system) software standpoint, what would you
> do to speed things up?  I can't add memory; we don't have any open slots
> to add in another graphics card and using a workstation model machine
> with better graphics isn't a choice either.
>
> Any ideas???

Other answerers really already said this, but the be clear there's no
obvious evidence this is a Java problem.  If Java or anything else wants
to unpack a JPG and draw it on your video device there is probably very
little Java code involved in calling libjpeg and then ultimately some X
bitblt call.

Your first move should be to simulate the same image activity without
Java being involved, on the same boxes, and see what you get.  For
example, just open the 2048x2048 image in a web browser on one of these
boxes and see how that compares.  If it is no better or worse, you can
be sure the problem is the hardware.

That being the case assuming the boxes all have the best X driver
support enabled (ie, other than vesa) there is not much to be done: the
larger image size requirement exceeds what can be had from the hardware.

-Andy