Re: Speeding Up Java Graphics (JVM)

On 1/5/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Speaking from a hardware standpoint, we distribute our systems on Dell
PowerEdge 1800 Server machines and we're limited (by our own hardware)
to 512MB RAM.  It stands to reason that these machines don't have very
beefy graphics support in them.  Low end nVidia or ATI chipsets at best!

That's quite normal for a server. They are made for use in data centers without (dedicated) monitors, so why bother about the video performance?

We're doing some work in Java, running under Sun's JVM and driving the
graphics card with images while the CPU is at a decent load.  As our
images grow in size the drawing slows down.  The 640x480 stuff is good,
the 1280x1280 stuff is alright but the 2048x2048 is unusable.
>From a hardware / (operating system) software standpoint, what would you
do to speed things up?  I can't add memory; we don't have any open slots
to add in another graphics card and using a workstation model machine
with better graphics isn't a choice either.

There's not much you can do on the OS level. If you're using 3d graphics (via jogl or java3d) make sure the OpenGL acceleration is configured correctly (glxinfo should return "direct rendering" is enabled).
If you're using 2d graphics it's totally dependent on the way your software works. If it's using an offscreen buffer which is completely copied to the screen in 2048x2048 resolution there's no way it's going to fly on a low-end video card.

Klaasjan