Re: Merging two rpms

On 1/5/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>Just curious, but why would you want to do this?
> >
> > I agree, Paul, that my question may sound somewhat heterodox. However,
> > the idea came to me when I tried to create a rpm of the last version
> > of tovid:
> >
> > http://tovid.berlios.de/
> >
> > To create the rpm of the main part of tovid, I followed the usual
> > procedure (configure --> make --> checkinstall), but there was another
> > part of tovid, written in python, that I had to install too. The
> > creation of the respective rpm (of that second part of tovid) had to
> > follow a different procedure (specific to software written in python).
> > Then I thought that it would be convenient to have the whole tovid in
> > a single rpm, which motivated my question.
>
> Given that the whole thing is architecture-independent (it's all done in
> scripting languages, calling up other tools), there's no reason why it
> shouldn't all be in the same package, and the presence of SUSE RPM
> packages linked from the project's website confirms this. I'm not sure
> why the presence of python bits should be a problem for checkinstall,
> not being a checkinstall user, but a hand-crafted RPM containing
> everything should certainly be possible.

As they say at their site:

«The installation files will go into a subdirectory tovid-0.23 within
the current directory. Next, do the following:

$ cd ~/Downloads/tovid-0.23
$ ./configure
$ su -c 'make install'
$ su -c './setup.py install'
»

As far as know, checkinstall has not implemented the last (above)
command. The Suse rpms that you mention are too old (version 0.19,
whereas the current one is 0.24).

Paul