Re: mailing program

azeem ahmad wrote:
> i have a RHLE4 machine
Not really the right list then...

> on which i use Command Line Interface. on CLI i use
> the command "mail" to send and recieve mails. but the problem is that this
> mail program doesnt facilitates to attach files with outgoing mails. what
> the solution can be, any other CLI mail program or any advanced option is
> existing mail command.
> but note that i dont want to used any GUI program

Are you using mail interactively, or to send mail from scripts? If
you're scripting mail (e.g.
program | mail -s "Output of program" user@xxxxxxxxxxx ), then mutt
offers a (mostly) compatible command line with extra options. In
particular, man mutt says:
    OPTIONS
           -a file
                  Attach a file to your message using MIME.

Mutt is a very powerful interactive e-mail client, too, and what I'm
using now. It is very configurable, but this means that you may need to
spend some time writing a .muttrc file to make it do what you want it to
do.

You may find cone (or the non-free pine) to be a much simpler and easier
program to use.

Mutt is in FC4 (and I imagine in RHEL), cone is in extras, and pine you
can get from http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/linux.html . I'd
be surprised if there were any real dependency problems for any of
these: they're straightforward UNIX text mode programs.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The winds, however, get very lazy that time of year;
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | they don't bother going around you, they just go