Re: Access Old Home Directory - USB enclosure - LVM

Robert L Cochran wrote:

I can't remember when I got this idea of adding a 60 Gb drive to my former system. But the drive was probably new at the time and had no data on it. The 120 Gb drive had a Fedora Core 3 system on it -- and maybe it was earlier than that, Fedora Core 2? My idea was to preserve everything on the 120 Gb drive and install a new Windows XP plus Fedora Core 3 system on the 60 Gb drive.

Maybe what happened is that the 120 Gb drive already had an LVM volume group on it, and when I added the 60 Gb drive the unpartitioned free space in it was being seen as an extension to that volume group. So it simply gobbled up the new physical volume. (I simply let the installer do what it wanted.) But LVM still let me treat the 60 Gb drive as if it were a separate physical volume. So to really see my home directory at last, I need to have both physical drives installed in my system. What interfaces I use (SATA or PATA) doesn't matter, but both drives are needed for me to see the /home directories. Does this make sense?

Bob Cochran

I believe that when you allow the installer to do as it pleases, it could come up with some scheme similar to your assumption.
I however could not say for certain if one super LVM would be generated.

Jim