Re: Gzip better than Bz2 ? Normal?

Deron Meranda wrote:
It is a theorem that, for any [lossless] compression
algorithm which makes the compressed version of some file
smaller than the uncompressed version, there is a file for
which the compressed version is *larger* than the uncompressed
version.

It's also true that the amount of expansion in those cases
never has to be more than one additional bit.
--
Deron Meranda

Umm, I suppose that you mean that there is *another* compression
algorithm which produces, for any file which is actually shrunk,
an output which is the same except for being one bit longer, and
which, for all the files which the original actually grows, produces
an output which is only one bit longer than the uncompressed file.

There are lossless compression algorithms for which what you
said is not true.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.