Re: Is 64 bit Fedora OK? With which CPU?

dondi_2006 wrote:

Hello,

I have to buy a new PC for my desktop. I want to run
Fedora on it, because I already know it well from University.
But I am not sure if it is OK to go with a 64 bit CPU or stick
to 32 bit ones.

What are right now, if any, the limits I encounter in using
Fedora or FOSS in general, if I buy a 64 bit CPU?

I have not found very recent information, and what I found reinforced
these doubts. For example, http://lwn.net/Articles/113741/ said:

Given the extra overhead in terms of disk space and memory usage while running two "editions" of the same libraries, as well as the limited number of third-party RPMs, is there a case for running a 64-bit Fedora >Core? In other words, are there any advantages of running a 64-bit system on a 64-bit processor, as opposed to running a 32-bit system on a 64-bit processor? As always, it depends. Unfortunately, it seems that right now, and for the majority of users, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

Is this still true today, or with next Fedora 5? What are the traps still there with openoffice, java, kernel graphic drivers, flash, kde, gnome,
whatever?

Also, if there are no traps, what 64 bit CPU do you recommend from the
power efficiency point of view? Lower wattage, possibility to run slower
when not doing heavy stuff....?

Thanks,
Webber

Happy 2006!

My Athlon 64 X2 4400 Dual Core is showing every indication of being able to roar through compiles at amazing speeds, which is why I bought it. The FC4 install on this system seemed to happen with blistering speed. The Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard seems pretty nice too.

Bob Cochran