Re: Security question regarding root email

> On 1/1/06, Charles Howse <chowse@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I haven't read root's email in about a month. Now that I get around to
>>> it, I am suprised to see things that I have never seen before, such
>>> as:
>>>  --------------------- pam_unix Begin ------------------------
>>>  kde-np:
>>>     Unknown Entries:
>>>        session opened for user dotancohen by (uid=0): 1 Time(s)
>>>  ---------------------- pam_unix End -------------------------
>> For the above, I would find out what kde-np is.  What little Googling I did
>> suggests it's a script that provides auto-login for some other application.
>> Might not be anything to worry about.
>> You're seeing it here because LogWatch hasn't been told to ignore it.
>>

> I also do not remember installing kde-np, or ever using it. As it
> seems to have to do with login, it MAY be becaue I logged out and then
> back in on that day? Not that I remember doing such.

Further research indicates that kde-np is installed when you install
kdebase, which are the core files for the K Desktop environment.  Probably
installed during FC4 installation, when you chose to install KDE.

Do you have your box configured to log you in automatically on startup?
If I am not mistaken, kdm and kde-np provide autologin.

I found this by searching http://rpm.pbone.net for kde-np, which told me
that it is provided my kdebase, then I searched http://google.com for "what
is kde-np" (without the quotes), and found out about autologin on the second
page, third hit.  That hit has to do with FreeBSD, but it's the same file.

> Yes, much research. That's why there's google! Thank you very much.

You're welcome.  As they say, "Google is your friend!"  :)