Re: Eclipse & Oracle10g-EE

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 23:48 +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I need to develop a software for a small company, but I really feel
> that I want to make it all based on free-software... The software will
> include some code (Duh) which I will write in Java, along with a
> DBMS...
>
> So, I was thinking of using Eclipse for developing the software, and
> using the new free Oracle 10g-Express Edition as the DBMS...

If you are going to learn a new database, i.e. you haven't worked with
Oracle before, why not use PostgreSQL or MySQL...

> Have any of you tried this combination before? I think I'm settled
> about using Eclipse to develop the software, but how about the DBMS?
> Suggestions?

If you need an alternative to Eclipse, try Kdevelop.  However, eclipse
is a very useful piece of software for what you are starting.

Furthermore, what source control system is the application going to be
maintained under?  CVS, subversion, etc....

Sean