Re: Make a boot floppy

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 00:49 +0200, Lorenzo Sandini (Sonera) wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but during the install process I wasn't given an option to create a boot floppy for FC4.

Not that I think I need one, but with all distros I have tried ealier, (years ago...) this always was an option...

If I had to create one now, how would I do it ?

You can't.  The kernel is too large for a floppy.
You can make a boot CD, download the rescue CD from Fedora, or boot to
rescue mode from the first install CD.

Because there are several options I simply use the rescue CD since I
thus only have to download it and burn the CD from the downloaded image.

If your system's not actually stuffed, a grub floppy can be handy. Some time ago I stuffed up a system running RHL 7.0 (needed a 2.2 kernel), trying to install Debian on the other hard drive, and nearly got it right. Thereafter, the FC2 rescue disk didn't work - could't fix either the RHL 7.0 or the Debian system, Knoppix du jour didn't work, but a grub floppy let me type the commands I needed to boot one of them.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait