Re: Zoom ADSL /router Fedora Home Lan SETUP HELP Fedora4 /WinXP ;

Mirco Scara wrote:
> I urgently need advice on how to set up a home network between 2
> computers both dual bootingWINXP and Fedora 4 both on separate internal
> hard disks.
> Both are connected via ethernet to a ZOOM adsl router and the router is
> obviously connected to a hub/switch from which the two separate ethernet
> cables go to the two separate ethernet cards on the two separate computers.
> Now the problem is:
>
> Both computers can get connected to the internet at one time but never
> together at the same time.

Um. What model is the ZOOM "router"? Are you sure it's a real router
(does it say that on the box)?

My own Zoom X5 router (which works perfectly with multiple computers)
has an ADSL / phone line input, four Ethernet ports, and a USB port.
That means I don't need a separate switch.

On the other hand, there are such things as ADSL Ethernet modems. These
don't route, and only support one computer at a time. These will simply
"bridge": take anything that arrives on the Ethernet port and send it
out to the Internet, and anything that arrives on the ADSL port and send
it out the ethernet port.

I suspect you've got one of those.

> Is there any document on the net I can read so that I can shed some
> light onto this LAN TUNNELL??????

Tunnels are completely different things. I don't think you're asking
about those.

But you should read http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html and
check which product you've got.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Drums must never stop. Very bad if drums stop."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Why? What will happen if the drums ever stop?"