kppp doesn't know modem initialisation strings !

Hello List,

I am updated to latest (3.5) KDE from kde-redhat repository.When I run kppp,(sudo /usr/sbin/kppp),
set correct modem port and ISP account.It just can't dial.

When I checked in the configure dialogs,under 'modem commands',nothing is listed. Kppp has forgotten all the modem initialisation strings!

Now, I run it as user,again the same.No initialisation strings.I give the chosen modem a name,save it and go to create a new modem,all the initialisation strings are there.But I cannot run it as I have no access right to modem as a user.

I go back and sudo again.This time,with the same procedure,there is no luck.Kppp doesn't know anything about modem initialisation.

By the By, latest linux creates ownership for the user on all devices like cdrom,floppy.

[pbhat@sidharth ~]$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-------  1 pbhat disk 22, 0 Dec 30  2005 /dev/hdc
[pbhat@sidharth ~]$ ls -l /dev/fd0
brw-rw----  1 pbhat floppy 2, 0 Dec 30  2005 /dev/fd0

[pbhat@sidharth ~]$ ls -l /dev/ttySL0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Dec 30 14:26 /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/1
[pbhat@sidharth ~]$ ls -l /dev/pts/1
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 136, 1 Dec 30 15:45 /dev/pts/1

why not on modem? Is it safe to add normal users to 'uucp' group? or change modem group to a new group like 'dialout' and make users its members ?

I can 'sudo wvdial' successfully.

Thanks,

Parameshwara Bhat