Re: An mp3 ripping yarn

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 19:39 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:

> I tried doing the same on his computer which is running FC4(replacing
> [freshrpms-fc-3] with [freshrpms-fc-4]). Everything seems to install OK but
> there is no mp3 option to select in the version 2.10.1 sound juicer on FC4.

Hmm... - I don't have an mp3 rip option in FC4 sound juicer either
(using the rpm.livna.org mp3 plugins) - sounds like a bug in
sound-juicer.

My honest suggestion though is to rip to flac and then transcode to mp3.
That's what I do, though I do it all cli.

Ripping to flac means you never have to re-rip again if you want a
different bitrate (or a different encoding). Uses a lot of disk space
though.

I don't know if a gui front end exists for transcoding (that preserves
tags).

Another suggestion is a KDE app - amarok

I prefer gnome myself, and I like to keep my gui consistent, but there
is just nothing that even comes close to amarok that is gnome/gtk2+

amarok is in Extras.
I believe it not only will rip to mp3 just fine (provided the gstreamer
mp3 plugins are installed) but will also sync with the iPod as well.