Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 17:43, John Summerfied wrote:

> >>	/bin, /sbin and /lib are for
> >>single user base system commands and their required libraries.
> >

> > In case no one has mentioned it yet, these are the things
> > that may be needed before /usr is mounted, given that /usr
> > can be a separate partition.
> More to the point, on another machine. And/or shared with other systems.

Regardless, the big issue is that all the tools needed for booting
and mounting it must be in root partition - and in the shared
case that means bringing up the network too.

> > And more to the point, where third-party RPMs fit into
> > the picture.  In RedHat-land they are almost always made
> > to fit into the vendor-provided scheme, clobbering system
> > files if there is a conflict.  Sometimes that's what you
>
> Never clobbering vendor-provided files unless, you the system
> administrator, make them do so.

I'm not sure I understand.  How do you install updated or
modified libraries from a third-party yum repository without
clobbering the system files?

>  And it's perfectly possible to make
> relocatable rpms that will install almost anywhere.

Where do you find them?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx