Re: Backing up data to span multiple CDs K3B 0.11.23 cd-record 1.2? Fedora 4 kernel 2.6.12 – reposted from September

Clive at Rational wrote:
Hi,

  Is it possible to use K3B to back up data that is
over 700MB in size so that it spans multiple backup
CDs? I remember zip used to be able to span backups
across multiple floppy disks.

I don't know: I don't use K3B.

I do use mkzftree to make a compressed tree of files and then mkisofs to create an ISO image. Typically, that gets well over 700 Mb to a CD which is directly readable on Linux but not other systems (they need to manually decompress the files), but only postpones the problem.

DVDs are a good alternative to CDs: bigger and (according to the specs on the side of my box) four times as fast. They (and the media) are cheap, maybe for your volumes of data cheaper than CD, but again, they only postpone the problem.

DAR (see sf.net) can create multivolume archives.
So can mondo, but the code's still pretty terrible and I have doubts about its safety if there are "bad" filenames around.

I quite like external USB2 drives: I can back up my whole 80 Gb drive in my laptop at 14 Mbyte/sec. Tarballs, ISO images or whatever of ones valuables on an external laptop drive has to be pretty convenient, or you can go for the largest ATA drive you can find and put that in an enclosure.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait