Re: Install Fedora linux as dual boot without boot menu

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Bob&Corinne writes:

I am about to install Fedora Linux for the first time. I am making a dual boot system with win98SE. I do not want a boot menu. Can I just boot from my recovery disk or have lilo make a boot floppy?

FC4 no longer includes LILO (don't recall if it was pulled in FC3 or FC4).

Theoretically you could omit installing grub, and boot off a rescue CD and mount your partitions. But that's less optimum -- you won't end up booting a number of processes that normally run at startup - cron, et al, which may result in strange, mysterious malfunctions from time to time.

Until you have more experience with these sort of things, you are better off booting the system normally.

What was the intent of not having a boot menu? If it is just to make Win98SE be the default then that can be accomplished with out requiring the use of a recovery disk. A small change in the grub.conf file is all it takes.

/--R/