xmms from terminal ( no error ) vs xmms from GUI ( error )

Hi,
I installed xmms-mp3 from livna repo. Before doing so I uninstalled any previous installation with yum remove xmms. The problem that I'm having now is that when I launch xmms from the terminal in KDE I can play mp3 files. However, when I click on an icon that points to the application then I get an error saying "Couldn't open audio" and bellow it also says "Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard"
What is going on here?
Thanks,
EJ