xmms error ( alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device )

Hi,
I installed xmms-mp3 from livna repo. The problem that I'm having now is that when I launch xmms with root I can play mp3 files. However, when I launch it as a regular user then I get an error saying "Couldn't open audio" and bellow it also says "Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard" Trying to configure ALSA as the output plugin gives me less options for a regular user than I get with root. With root I get a Mixer Card while as a regular user I have nothing and nothing appears in the drop down menu for this option. I'm getting this option when I launch it from a terminal: ** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: No such device
This doesn't happen if I launch it as root.
What is going on here?
Thanks,
EJ