Re: multimedia program

On 12/23/05, Trevor TeC Christian <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, December 23, 2005 3:12 pm, Arthur Pemberton said:
> On 12/23/05, Nathan Low <nlow04@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Can Cyberlink PowerDVD 4.0 that's a windows program be compatible with
>> Fedora core 4 if I buy the Crossover Office Standard 5.0?
>>
>> Is Xandros Linux operating system more suitable to people who work with
>> multimedia all the time?
>>
>> Please respond.  Thanks.
>>
>> Nathan
>>

> Nathan,
>
> Basically, unless you have something exotic to do in Fedora/Linux , there
> will not be a need to purchase any software.  I mean, if you have some
> money
> to spare, you can always fund a linux project. Otherwise I'm guessing you
> will find the software frely available will meet your needs. There are of
> course exceptions.
>
> While you may find some people here familiar with what Crossover Office
> supports, your best bet is just asking for a advice on a similar Linux
> applicaiton, or sending these type of questions to the Crossover Office
> suite.
>
> I know there is suppose to be a distro more multimedia oriented than
> Fedora
> (I can't remember which) but in all fairness you can get Fedora to be as
> multimedia oriented as your heart desires.
>
> In terms of playback, a combination of mplayer and a suitable (easily
> obtainable) plugin will/should meet any of your needs.

I somewhat disagree that you can make i as multimedia oriented as required.

I haven't tried othere distro's re multimedia - but I know from trying
that midi support is poor.  I have been forced to remain a partial user
because of the slow coming progress in this field - I have to run my
studio projects in windows.

I am going to have to aggree with that, i forgot that midi support sucks in Fedora. I have no idea why. In all fairness I haven't used midi for any god reason in ages.