Re: Kernel Errors

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 12:36 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 12/23/05, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 12/23/05, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Dear List,
> > >
> > > One of my FC4 systems is reporting some Kernel Errors in the log files
> > > generated by logwatch reporting, and I do not have the capacity to
> > > understand what is happening.... yet!
> > >
> > > Here are the Errors:
> > >
> > > Could any of you point me in the right direction?
> >
> > hdd appears to be giving up the ghost and should be replaced at your
> > earliest convenience.  I can't say what's wrong with hdc.  From
> > looking at your post, I see it's an optical drive anyway.  It could be
> > going bad, but it could be experiencing errors due to garbage that hdd
> > is generating.
> >
> > Then again, since both hdc and hdd are on the same physical
> > controller, perhaps that's what's going bad.  Any other symptoms your
> > machine is experiencing?
> >
> > --
> > Chris
> >

> Did you happen to remove the media from your CD/DVD drive without
> first unmounting it?

Chris and Kam,

Thanks for your reply.

I was not removing anything from the CD/DVD drive that I recognized even
by way of an unmount command.  I did have a couple of discs in each
drive, one with music and the other with data.

Part of the problem I have is that I am not quite sure where /dev/hdd/
is.  I have /dev/hda, and /dev/hdb as hard drives and I presume /dev/hdc
and /dev/hdd are the 2 CD/DVD drives on the system, but I am not sure
how to identify the driver with the CD.

I did install smartd from the yum repositories by way of smartmontools
and have done a disc check on /dev/hdb without having errors reported.
It looks to me that most of my problems may be on the CD/DVD drives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg