How to password an SMTP server

Hi All,

I'm using my FC4 box as a mail server (and also running Mailman).

It's starting to look like I may need to open up the SMTP server to "outside access".

Since I don't want to become a SPAM gateway, I'd like to restrict access to just a few people. But, there's a catch.

Some of my "customers" uses a dial-up connection and aways appears from a different IP address every time they connect. So adding them to the allow/deny list could be tricky.

How do I get the SMTP require a password? And, is that secure enough to keep spammer's from using my mail server?

Thanks!

Jon