Re: Yum dependencies [still]

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 12:06 +1100, Steffen Kluge wrote:

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:44 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:

Error: Missing Dependency: nvidia-glx = 0:1.0.7676 is needed by package kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4

The root cause of this issue is that kernel and kernel module packages
can exist in multiple versions on the same system, since they live in
versioned directories and have no conflicting files. Other packages
(like nvidia-glx) cannot have multiple versions installed at the same
time. If you want to use the latest kernel with NVidia's proprietary
driver you have to wave your old NVidia kernel modules good-bye. That
means no proprietary NVidia driver support when you boot older kernels.

Nobody's fault, really.

I disagree - It's basically livna's fault. They ought to rebuild
kernel-module-nvidia for all kernels currently being used.

Otherwise, users will not be able to update.

The only way out would be convincing someone to
build the NVidia modules against x number of older kernels, as well.

Exactly.

Ralf

I really don't care whose fault it might be. If you're going to provide an update, then the update should be complete, with any dependencies required.

I'm not glued to a given kernel. I could really care less what kernel I run as long as it is stable.

My issue is I have probably over 100 updates to other packages that will no update due to these one or two stupid dependencies. It would seem that the packagers of yum, uptodate, or whatever, would allow the other packages whose dependencies *are* resolved to be updated.

Thanks,

 IBM: Infernal Biggest Mistake
  02:05:01 up 29 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.15, 0.27

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org