Re: RAID5 Problems

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 21:36, Chris Manning wrote:
> The drive which I hotadded back into the array showed up as a spare
> instead of an active part of the array, and one of the other disks
> decided this was a good time to fail.
>
> So at this point I've got one disk that is dead, and another which was
> supposed to have been rebuilt, but is a spare.  The array will not
> restart, and as far as I can tell, I've now lost all the data on this
> array.  I expect that I'm not going to be able to recover the data,
> but does anyone have any idea why hotadding the drive back into the
> array, and watching it rebuild, would end up with that disk as a spare
> instead of a proper part of the array?

'dmesg' should show the log of what happened.  One thing I've
seen is that a rebuild won't complete if you get an error
even on an unused spot on another part of the array.  I'd
guess that's what happened.  If your drives are smart-aware
try 'smartctl -a' to see if they have had errors.  If not,
a crude test is to run 'cat /dev/sdn' >/dev/null and
run dmesg after it completes.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx