Re: fc4 yum update problems on two installations

sport wrote:

Yum does look like it is working now, but I have multiple versions of
some items installed, such as kdebase 2.5.x, and 2.4.x.  There should
only be one version installed.
Usually, he newer package is installed. The database enry for the older package does not get removed , though it was overwritten by the new version.
run
rpm -e --justdb olderpackage
to remove the rpm entry only from the database. Then you could run
rpm -q --verify newestpackage
to verify the new package is intact.

yum stores transaction information in /var/log/yum.log

To get a sorted list of current database enries, I use
rpm -qa |sort >myrpms.txt
to get a sorted list of rpms installed. The kernels and gpg-keys should be the only duplicates on an i386 computer. There are some scripts which use unique to only show the duplicate rpms and saving a bit of time sorting through the rpm listings. I lost the script that someone else passed on and Icould not find it on a recent search through he archives. It would simplify the task somewhat.

I checked on my not broken machine.
Using yum remove kernel xxx worked to get the latest kernel installed,
but there could be a hundred or more packages partly installed or
installed with multiple versions due to the yum crash.  Does anyone know
how to force yum to update everything, and know where yum keeps track of
its history?
If you do find a package where it does not verify correctly, removing only the db entry as stated above. (you might need --nodeps) will allow you to overwrite the nonverified package but not remove files actually in the rpm until you run:
yum install newerpackage
again. This should stomp all over the files again and give you the new package with all of its dsired content.

-cm