Re: rmdir when directory is not empty

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 13:20, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
>> OR rm -fr /dir/dir-delete-me
>
>That won't work on directories that have tens of thousands of files.
>--
>WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting

Oh?  That must mean that all those kernel src dir leftovers I've
cleaned over the years are still around then.  But I can't find them.

The pony trick is to use, as root, rm -fR name-of-directory

For a built kernel tree, it takes about 10-12 seconds on an XP2800
athlon, and I'd imagine there are well over 5000 files in that tree
once built.  But gone they are.  Note that the last time I read the
manpage on rm, the uppercase and lowercase R/r's had different
meanings.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this