Re: Fedora Core 4 Update: caching-nameserver-7.3-4.FC4

At 4:35 PM +1030 12/20/05, Tim wrote:
>When this, and system-config-bind updated, I found this problem:
>
>ll /etc/named.conf*
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Dec 20 16:15 /etc/named.conf ->
>/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Oct 27 12:36 /etc/named.conf.rpmsave ->
>/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>
>Shouldn't the last one link to "named.conf.rpmsave"?  For a moment I
>thought I'd lost my customised version of named.conf.  Luckily it was
>still there, just not where I expected to find it.

Well, the .rpmsave files are just made by mv'ing the old file out of the
way so it doesn't get clobbered.  If a "file" is really a soft link, it
will still point to the same path it used to point to, as it hasn't been
changed.  What you have with the .rpmsave files is a way to compare old and
new, and a way to back out of difficulty if you need to, not some parallel
working installation.

In your case, /etc/named.conf.rpmsave isn't interesting, but a comparison
of /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf with
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.rpmsave would let you merge back any
custom configuration with any changes that might have been made in a new
named.conf (probably none, given that the .rpmsave files are made whenever
any difference is noted, with no effort to "understand" its signifigance).