Re: 3C905B - 3c59x

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 16:51 -0500, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> My mistake on the subject line, the card is physically marked as a
> 3c905C, the system is treating it as a 3c59x which I believe is correct
> after reading through the docs regarding the driver.

I will have to look at what mine is precisely again. I just recall the
3c59x driver during the install. :-)

> There were some comments about possibly the ethernet port being bad.  I
> dropped an Intel Pro 100 card in the machine, used the same port, same
> cable and it came up as 100 full.  Also to avoid the duplex/speed
> negotiation I forced the switch (Cisco Catalyst 2924XL) to 100 full with
> the 3com card, when I did this the 3com card didn't talk at all.
>
> There are no errors in /var/log/messages relating to a failure of the
> card, only messages are what I would call standard startup messages with
> one exception.  There are messages in the log from when I attempted to
> use mii-tool.  The messages are:
> Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_sset
> Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_link_ok
> Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_nway_restart
> Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol generic_mii_ioctl
> Dec 18 17:57:21 xyzzy1 kernel: 3c59x: Unknown symbol mii_ethtool_gset
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if its a bad or flaky network card,
> unfortunately I don't have a Windoze machine that I can put it in to
> test it.

Well, I would say that the card is probably not work
debugging/diagnosing, considering what the cost of a new Intel card is.
Given that the Intel Pro card works with your wiring and all, I would
just say "use that one". :-)  But seriously, Intel has been pretty good
at providing solid networking boards, and drivers to back them up.
Almost all of my servers are running with Intel Pro Server boards, and I
relegate my 3c59x's to desktop machines, who really don't notice network
speed at all ('especially if they are running windows; the net is not
your bottleneck... :-) )

Steve

Steve