Re: GNOME updates vs. KDE updates

Hi

So I really would like to know, how come Red Hat developers have time to
ship a major update to KDE but not even maintenance releases for GNOME?
Its quite amusing that we have another thread "Red Hat losing interesting in KDE?" running simultaneously to this one when in fact there is a KDE 3.5 release provides as an update. So here is my take on it.

GNOME and KDE are not the same beasts to build. KDE is fairly self contained since they are provided as relatively large set of packages in core while GNOME has a number of small packages and major releases include additional dependencies which Fedora tends to avoid in a update. Moreover KDE 3.5 was already build for the current developer tree which can be relatively easily rebuild for FC4 while doing a maintenance releases of GNOME is specific to FC4 and most of the development work is concentrated on getting a new test release of Fedora Core 5 out of the door before the holidays. It might as well as be the case that noone requested that and provided enough rationale for the developer to make a call and do the release or decide against it. If you want to do so, you can file a bug report against the "distribution" component in http://bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora Core 4 or post to the fedora-devel list if it requires discussion.

regards
Rahul