Re: nfs mounting

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 18:30 +0530, G Rajesh wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am new to networking and I have just two system to connect. They are
> connected to each other and ADSL modem through a network switch. I use
> fedora core 4 at both systems.
> 1. I assigned 192.168.1.10 to one system naming it primary.grajesh.in
> and the another 192.168.1.20 as secondary.grajesh.in. This was done
> using desktop>sytemsettings>network.

Is that your own domain name, are their public DNS entries for it that
conflict with what you're doing?  (I'm offline as I write this, so I
can't check, but that could be quite a problem.)

> 2. I added /home/rajesh/Documents to be exported using
> desktop>sytemsettings>serversettings>nfs.
> 3. I have added the above addresses to /etc/hosts file and
> /etc/hosts.allow file too.
> 4. I have added 192.168.1.xx:/home/rajesh/Documents /net   nfs rw 0 0 to
> the /etc/fstab file also.

I assume you mean that you're adding a line to the /etc/fstab file on
the PC that you want to mount the *other* PCs drive to.  Not trying to
do so on the PC that is exporting/sharing that directory.  I would also
add a couple of other parameters, to be on the safe side, to protect you
against other accidents once you get NFS working:

192.168.1.xx:/home/rajesh/Documents /net   nfs rw,intr,noexec,nodev 0 0

> But when I boot, I get the following error:
> "mount to nfs server '192.168.1.xx' failed: server is down"

The NFS server isn't running?

Is your network working?  Can you ping each machine from each other, for
instance?

If you're running SELinux, you might need to tweak your settings to
allow NFS to work with home directories.  There's options directly for
that in the security level configuration GUI that's in Gnome, at least.

I read messages from the public lists.