RE: WebTrends replacement

At 3:00 PM -0800 12/17/05, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>[Tony Nelson wrote]
>>At 12:41 PM -0800 12/17/05, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>>>The last time I ran awstats on a windows iis server (per 4 >months ago),
>>>it would take forever to process the log files (because logs are maintained
>>>over MANY files) and it got to a point where the waiting html page would
>>>timeout or the processing script seems to want to run to infinity.  Awstats
>>>finally got to a point where it was no longer usesful.
>>>
>>>I hope the design of awstats log processing has recently changed before I
>>>will consider it worth my time.
>>
>>Awstats keeps a cache of the logs it has processed, and only  processes new
>>logs / new log data when it is run again.  If it isn't doing  that for you,
>>then it must be having trouble saving or using it's cache.
>
>Well, as I recall from memory, the way IIS manages log files is that
>it keeps different log files for different cases (really bizarre) and
>also I have at least two years of log files. I do reacall that I had to
>basically configure the windows IIS side myself as the awstats did not
>process all the different log file cases at the time. I changed the
>script to incorporate all of the relevant log files. This may be part of
>the problem and I don't recall if caching was supported at the time.
>
>I am using the old/first? server IIS (v5.0) so maybe awstats works only
>for the newer/latest IIS version. I can check once again to see what the
>problem I had was. In any case - trying to get ALL the log files initially
>was a HUGE processing chore - and it worked at first but as time went on,
>it got worst and worst and finally stopped working altogether.

AWStats is supposed to handle multiple files, remembering where it was in
the file(s).  It should only scan the old files the first time, and not
again.

It may be that you just had more log info than AWStats could use even from
it's cache.  If you do try it again, you might look for the database and
check the size, as well as checking AWStats' memory usage (for possible
thrashing).  AWStats might be working "normally" but have trouble scaling
up to your level.  Maybe run it from the command line (if you did it from a
CGI before) and see if it says anything useful.  Also, RDNS will take "99%"
of the running time if enabled.  AWStats is not recommended for sites with
more than 4,000,000 visits/month.  (Per their benchmarks page
<http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_benchmark.html>.)