Adding a totally new keyboard layout to the list of options in FC3

I'd like to try typing with the Colemak keyboard layout (see
<http://colemak.com/>). I have downloaded an xmodmap file which I can
use to change the keyboard mapping from the command line with xmodmap.
Ideally, however, I'd like to use it for a while and be able to switch
back to Qwerty when I want. I presume the Keyboard Preferences applet
and the Keyboard Indicator panel applet manipulate xmodmap files in some
way. What's the easiest way to add this totally new option to the
Keyboard Preferences applet's list of options?

Dave Roberts <ldave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>