Pause on KDE 3.5 startup

After updating (via yum) to the KDE 3.5.0 packages on a fully updated system
there is a 30 second delay in mid-desktop-initialization.

The desktop startup begins as before, with the splash screen icons.  Then
the panel is mostly drawn (application icons but not deskstops; date, but
not time) on the screen.  Then there is the new 30-seconds delay.  After
the delay the panel is fully drawn, the desktop icons are shown, and the
AutoStart programs are run.

This on a SMP desktop system.  I see this same behavior with a shorter delay
(~10 seconds) on a Pentium4-based notebook machine, also fully updated.
Given that both machine are running the same software in the same network
environment, I have to assume that KDE is inspecting or waiting for some
hardware status.

Running top on a SSH login, I don't see anything obvious during the pause.
The ARTs daemon is using the most CPU time during that period, but that is
only about 5% utilization.

Any advice on how to remove these delays on KDE startup?

Thanks.