Re: Mouse pointer in FC3

James Wilkinson wrote:

My mouse pointer frequently changes to being solid black which then makes
it almost invisible on a dark background.  Two application that I know of
that make this happen are gvim and mutt. These both make the cursor disappear

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx replied:
I am not sure what the problem is but I can't understand what the
mouse pointer has to do with mutt? Can you enlighten me?

Ross then wrote:
Mutt is one of the applications that I use that will make the mouse
pointer turn solid black.

It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with mutt. Mutt doesn't have
anything to do with the mouse: it doesn't understand it in the
slightest.

What's probably causing the effect is the terminal emulator you're
using, interacting with your X server.

Since gvim does it as well, I'd be inclined to blame your X server.
Which X server are you using? Which version of x.org are you using (are
you up to date)?

James.
I use yum on a regular basis to keep up to date (FC3). RPM reports the following:

Name        : xorg-x11                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 6.8.2                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 1.FC3.45.2 Build Date: Fri 23 Sep 2005 02:33:50 AM EDT Install Date: Sat 24 Sep 2005 12:25:39 AM EDT Build Host: bugs.build.redhat.com Group : User Interface/X Source RPM: xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.45.2.src.rpm
Size        : 39866418                         License: MIT/X11, and others
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Fri 23 Sep 2005 11:06:35 AM EDT, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://xorg.freedesktop.org

Mutt is running in a gnome-terminal. I spend a lot of time at the command line in other terminal windows without ever seeing this effect. Mutt of course uses the terminal in
a much different way than I do when working from bash.

At work, mutt and gvim are 100% effective at causing this. Other things seem to cause it as well but I don't notice until the pointer is against a dark background so I frequently don't know exactly when the change occurred. At home, it happens but not 100% of the time.
Ross