Re: Is Redhat/Fedora Losing Interest in KDE?

Leonard Isham wrote:

On 12/16/05, Mike McGrath <imlinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Cary Hart wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:33:58 -0500
Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse@xxxxxxxxx> opined:

On 12/16/05, David Cary Hart <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

KDE was never updated to 3.4.3. 3.5.0 was released on November 26
yet even the rawhide build is incomplete.

That's strange -- have you looked at the "dev" fc5 branch?  I seen 3.5
related things in there.

Yes. Arts, Kdepim and Kdebase are still RC-2

My LinuxPPC FC5 iMac runs KDE much better than Gnome (gnome crashes
eash time I try to use it.)

I don't want to (re)ignite the Gnome-Kde food fight but I much prefer
KDE.

I don't want to reignite anything hostile threads either.... but you're
not alone:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/13/1340215

It gets really interesting when you follow the links and see exactly
what Linus said.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.

This excerpt is pretty much my view on the dumb buttons vs. address bar. I said something similar on the development list, before pointed to this post.

Same with the file dialog. Apparently it's too "confusing" to let users just type the filename. So gnome forces you to do the icon selection thing, never mind that it's a million times slower.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-November/msg00518.html

I still prefer GNOME over KDE, Linus does make a good point regarding GNOME and their dumbing down the interface.

Jim

--
"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
--Frank Zappa