Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 22, Issue 143

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:55:43 +0530, <fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Message: 11
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:52:17 +0000
From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What is the Difference?
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:07:26PM +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

Hello List,

What is the difference between kernel-devel-*.rpm and kernel-*.src.rpm ?

Regards,

Parameshwara Bhat

I don't know if I will get this exactly right but I will give it a
shot:
1. kernel-*.src.rpm - a source form of the kernel which can be
compiled using rpmbuild to produce a particular binary kernel.
Yes. It can also be tweaked to build a custom kernel.

2. kernel-devel-*.rpm - gives you the modules to allow you to compile
a customized kernel of that kernel version but tailored to your
specific needs.
No, the kernel-devel-*.rpm contains the header files etc. needed to
build modules that will load when you're running the associated kernel
(i.e. it's for building out-of-tree modules, not a customised kernel).

In that case, am I right to assume that to compile a device module out of half-binary,half-source code base, what i need is just a kernel-devel*.rpm, and not kernel*.src.rpm as I am doing right now?

Regards,

Parameshwara Bhat
Paul.