Re: How to backup root filesystem the correct way....

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

OK, my major issue right now is getting GRUB to work and
I am not able to get GRUB to see my /boot partition I am
assuming since it cannot find the configuration files nor
can it boot.

I have:

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hda2 /
/dev/hda3 swap

Documentation says to install grub as follows:

1) Boot off rescue CD
2) chroot /mnt/sysimage
3) grub-install /dev/hda

But therein lies my problem I think.  Is it supposed to be:

3) grub-install /dev/hda1   OR
3) grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/hda?
3) grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda?

Do I have to somehow install the MBR on /dev/hda or
is this part of GRUB's job?

Thanks!
Dan

The way that I have found that is easiest is just to run grub itself.

% grub --no-floppy

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

*or*

root (hd1,0)
setup (hd0)

Assuming that you only have two drives, and they are both partitioned with /boot on the 1st partitions...

If they are the both linux drives, then it shouldn't matter if you do both. Otherwise, the easiest way would be to remove the old drive from the system, and boot from the install CD.

Hope this helps!
Steve