Re: What is the Difference?

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:52:17PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:07:26PM +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> >
> >>Hello List,
> >>
> >>What is the difference between kernel-devel-*.rpm and kernel-*.src.rpm ?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Parameshwara Bhat
> >
> >I don't know if I will get this exactly right but I will give it a
> >shot:
> >1. kernel-*.src.rpm - a source form of the kernel which can be
> >compiled using rpmbuild to produce a particular binary kernel.
>
> Yes. It can also be tweaked to build a custom kernel.
Yes it can but it is more obscure to do.

> >2. kernel-devel-*.rpm - gives you the modules to allow you to compile
> >a customized kernel of that kernel version but tailored to your
> >specific needs.
>
> No, the kernel-devel-*.rpm contains the header files etc. needed to
> build modules that will load when you're running the associated kernel
> (i.e. it's for building out-of-tree modules, not a customised kernel).
>
> Paul.
Well I guess you are mostly correct but these modules could also be
used to create a custom kernel. But mostly you are correct. To do what
I said you would need a rpm named something like kernel-source....

Sometime in 1993 NANCY SINATRA will lead a BLOODLESS COUP on GUAM!!
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484