Re: Putting server on the internet or not

Edward Dekkers wrote:
For the first time ever, with my new account I will get a static IP address and high bandwidth (no more dial-up finally!!!).

I've purchased a domain which is waiting to have IP addresses tied to it (currently parked).

The question is - is it worth pointing the IP addresses directly at my server, and hosting my mail and http directly from this server, or would it be considered smarter to have everything hosted at the ISP still?

Bear in mind my web-site has always been hosted at my previous ISP, and I've always fetch mailed and masqueraded sendmail via my ISP's SMTP server before. This direct way would be completely new to me.

In the benefits I see that I have full control over my mail, adding, subtracting users, forwarders, auto responders, scripting, etc. that I never had before. However on the other side of the coin I guess I'd have to batten down the hatches for hackers.

With the web site also, if I hosted this myself, I could finally do some dynamic web pages (php, mysql, whatever...), whereas previously I'd be stuck with standard .html pages at my ISP.

How easy is it for me to set up? I've never done this before. I know I need to set up (reverse) DNS, MX records from reading this list over the years, but I have absolutely no idea how to actually DO it, and what steps to follow.

Most important question - to me it seems worth it, but is it unsafe for someone of my experience to do?

Regards,
Ed.

I knew your name seemed familiar. We exchanged email a couple of years ago. As I recall you have a business vaguely a little south of Perth.

I'd not use Fedora: I personally would probably use a clone of RHEL which has longer supported lifetime and is less prone to misadventure.

A good alternative is Clark Connect. Read the licence, it's changed sine I used it about 1.0 or a little earlier. It's built for SOHO environments and should be pretty safe.

If you'd like to bring the box over to Bellevue, we could have a chat about it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait