Re: FC4 CF-based Router

Bob Chiodini wrote:

Do you have a CF interface in your development/desktop?  If so, then why
not just copy your small installation directly to an ext2 or ext3
partition on the CF and grub-install grub as the boot loader?
If you don't have a CF interface on your desktop, then either get one,
or if your target can boot a CD...  Boot up Knoppix, format the CF, copy
your small installation to the CF over the network (SCP, NFS) then grub-
install grub to the CF.

You will most likely want to mount your root file system read-only and
place all of your volatile data in a tmpfs file system to avoid
shortening the life of the CF.
You can also put your entire file system in a ramdisk (initrd) and run
the system out of RAM.  You will probably need a lot of RAM, but you
don't have to worry about FSCK'ing the CF and it's probably faster
without the CF I/O.

CF to IDE adapters:

http://mach5products.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CF

We use one similar to the $19.95 version near the bottom of the page.

Bob,

Thanks for your response! Yes, I have a CF <-> IDE adapter in my box. The problem that I am having with ext2/ext3/etc is that no matter what I specify, the system comes up (rw) (based on what /proc/mounts and touch /foo show). I have the 'ro' flag on my kernel line in the grub.conf, and have the noatime,ro line in my fstab, but they still seem to want to come up rw... I have even gone so far as to wipe out /etc/mtab and /etc/blkid.tab*, but haven't had much luck getting it to stay read-only past the initrd stage.... I have gotten it to stay read-only by creating a read-only filesystem image (like iso9660 or cramfs), but haven't had much luck getting it to boot from another partition. (I basically have to dd the iso image to /dev/hda3 and mount that in the initrc's init script).

Steve