Re: Help activating available disk space, please.

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 21:02 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Nat,

> <snip>
> > If you want another partition just run fdisk and create it from the available space.
> This new partition would be hda6 using 8103 thru 9472. Yes?

use fdisk /dev/hda
then an 'n' will start the process to create the new partition
pressing enter a couple times will accept the default start and stop
cyilinders,
'w' will write the table.

A reboot will activate the new partition,
then format it and mount it somewhere you choose

Yes, from your listing above the new one should get the name hda6.

> > > Drive space is cheap enough today to add extra drives where needed.  I
> > > have one drive for just temp backups.
> > >
> > Agreed
> True. But I'd rather get a new system than open this case and risk the
> existing hardware.  So, if fdisk isn't so risky, and the extra 10gig
> will keep this going for a while..I'll go for fdisk.
> Thanks;
If your system is fragile enough that adding another hard disk will
break it then you have no business running it as a server.

fdisk can be risky if not done right.  Running a server without enough
confidence in the hardware to be able to add devices as needed is IMHO
even more risky because you can never make changes when needed, but only
when replacing hardware.

If the system is powered down and does not come back then  by your
approach you need a new server instead of fixing the problem.  That is
like saying you need to buy a $25,000 car because replacing a $75 tire
is risky.  Or like saying that you cannot change oil in your car because
it might get damaged.

Life is full of risks, and IMO adding a hard drive is not dangerous
enough to worry about in the slightest.