Re: Putting server on the internet or not

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 13:15 +0800, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> For the first time ever, with my new account I will get a static IP
> address and high bandwidth (no more dial-up finally!!!).
>
> I've purchased a domain which is waiting to have IP addresses tied to
> it (currently parked).
>
> The question is - is it worth pointing the IP addresses directly at my
> server, and hosting my mail and http directly from this server, or
> would it be considered smarter to have everything hosted at the ISP
> still?

In addition to Scot's message about handling equipment failures, now
*YOU* have to deal with hacking and spamming attacks on your domain,
instead of your host dealing with that for you.

Also, if you get a lot of unwanted traffic, you're going to pay for it.
You can firewall your machine off from receiving some of it, to try and
prevent technical problems it may cause for you, but the traffic has
already come to your node.  If your account has traffic limits, this
could be costly for you.

I read messages from the public lists.