Re: Putting server on the internet or not

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 09:27 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 00:15, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> > For the first time ever, with my new account I will get a static IP
> > address and high bandwidth (no more dial-up finally!!!).
> >
> > I've purchased a domain which is waiting to have IP addresses tied to it
> > (currently parked).
> >
> > The question is - is it worth pointing the IP addresses directly at my
> > server, and hosting my mail and http directly from this server, or would
> > it be considered smarter to have everything hosted at the ISP still?
>
> Is this for a business or for personal use?
>
> If for a business you need to consider disaster planning.  Most ISPs
> have redundant Internet access, firewalls, backup schemes, UPS systems,
> generators, climate control, etc.  It would be rare for the ISP to lose
> power, A/C, or Internet access.  From your home you probably don't have
> redundant Internet or generator power available.  Depending on where you
> are and how reliable your utilities are could mean your site might be
> down for several weeks a year.  For a business that could be very bad.
> For a personal web site probably not an issue.
>
> If you do set it up you should put a separate firewall in front of your
> server(s).  Something dedicated to the task of firewalling your site.
> This provides a choke point that you can monitor all traffic in and out.
>

> > Most important question - to me it seems worth it, but is it unsafe for
> > someone of my experience to do?
>
> Not sure of your experience level.  If it is for business you need to
> consider lost revenue if your site goes down.  If it is a personal web
> site what is the worst that could happen?  If the site is compromised
> you just need to be ready to  reload the system from scratch.  Just
> don't keep any sensitive data on the system such as your checking
> account info or credit card information. Setup a separate system for
> your web pages and use the other system for your day to day work.
>
> And read up on how to setup firewalls and web sites.  There are many
> good articles on the web and books available.  And avoid things like
> phpnuke and their like.  They are know to have lots of holes and
> exploits.

Edward,

I have to agree with Scot.  If you are a home user, lock everything down
behind a firewall.  I opened up SSH and IMAPS while I was traveling
earlier this year and within 2 hours I was getting hammered by machines
on the internet trying to access my machine via SSH.

I'll bet Scot has a generator though.  Judging by his IP address, I bet
he was without power a lot during last hurricane season :-)

Bob...