second ethernet

I'm looking to add a second Ethernet interface to my FC3 system. The interface is going to be used strictly as a capture interface for ethereal and as such has no need for an IP address..

The questions are:

1) How do I force the existing Ethernet interface (built onto the motherboard), which shows up as a via-rhine to remain as eth0 and the new interface which will be an Intel card as eth1 2) enable the card without any addressing (IP or otherwise) so the card remains silent? 3) will this process work for adding multiple additional interfaces, and is there a limit to network interfaces besides physical space for cards?

TIA
Jeff