device and fstab permissions

Hello.
I am running Fedora Core 3 and I'm having problems with permissions for /dev/hdc and /etc/fstab

I have some users in the disk group so that they can access the device, but some process keeps setting it tu u+rw thus removing access to the group and others.
The same thing happens with /etc/fstab which all of a sudden has read permissions only for the owner (root)

This breaks some scripts I run as they run from another user to create multisession iso images.

Anyone has a clue who the culprit might be?

It does not look like it is in /etc/security/console.perms as it doesn't list /dev/hd and /etc/udev/permissions.d has it properly set to 0660