Re: rootkit?

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 22:20 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Isn't rebuilding a little extreme?  If the cracker got into an
> > > unpriviledged user's account and no further isn't that particular user
> > > account the only thing at risk?  Shouldn't changing all passwords to
> > > strong ones and deleting the infected user account and files be
> > > sufficient?
> > ----
> > You would have to know EXACTLY what was compromised and that would be
> > difficult to determine and clearly it would take a lot less time than
> > simply backing up the data, wiping out the installation and reinstalling
> > fresh. Once a box is owned by someone else, you can't trust anything
> > including reports from things like rpm -Va. The only thing you might be
> > able to trust is a check from tripwire which had the checksums stored on
> > a read-only filesystem like a CD.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> That's easy if all you had to back up were databases and globally
> installed applications. If you have lots of users who have lots of
> data plus locally installed applications how do you decide what is
> worth replicating and what needs to be trashed?
----
Backing up data directories and reinstalling from scratch is the only
known method to ensure the integrity of a system that has been
compromised. Once a box has been compromised, you cannot trust a single
binary file on the system.

How do you tell bosses/users that you cannot ensure the security of
their server by recommending repair options short of best practice?

I simply don't have an answer to that. That's not an alternative that I
intend to ever offer.

Personally, I consider the Fedora software a limited duration install
anyway.

Craig