Re: apache cannot be started

yufan wrote:

On 12/10/05, *Andy Pieters* <mailings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mailings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Saturday 10 December 2005 05:07, yufan wrote:
    > Unable to open logs

    Apache needs root privileges to listen on the lower ports.

    su to root before starting the apache server.

this works.but another problem is raised.i am building my site basd on php.after i start the apache server buy root the explorer cannot the main page(index.php).it returns "permission denied".this page can be opened when i start the server using normal user.what's wrong with that?

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know what's already been said, and I don't know how you're starting apache, but there is a difference between starting it at the command line and starting it through the init scripts (in my experience). If my observations are correct, starting apache at the command line as a normal user results in httpd being run as an unconfined process in SELinux, while the init scripts make it start under an httpd ruleset. When running under SELinux, you have to make sure the files apache is serving have a httpd_sys_content_t type. I can't help you anymore with it 'cause I don't understand SELinux in any kind of depth, but I've had many problems with it before and it's fouled me up for hours, so I'm just sharing what I've observed in hopes it'll help you.

Best wishes,
Justin Willmert