Re: MP3 playing stopped working

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:09:16 +0000, pat wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I followed the un-offical FAQs (going through freshrpms) to get mp3s working on
> FC4 and was quite happy.   Last week I found things not working- no songs showed
> up in rhythmbox & xmms would only pop up a file selector when I tried to play a song.
>
> I tried going to the previous versions of ffmpeg & tried re-running gst-register.
>  I tried updating gstreamer by adding the gstreamer repository to my yum.conf.  I
> tried installing amorok.  It has driven me to drink!
>
> While the drink is certainly helping, I don't know where to go now.  Where should
> I look to find out more about this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Patrick

The first question is, do you have sound at all, or is it just
playing the mp3s?

If you have the livna repository enabled, install mpg321 (and dependencies):

yum install mpg321

Then, at a command prompt:

mpg123 files.mp3        # or mpg123 files*.mp3

If this doesn't play it, the mp3 file is corrupt, or you have troubles
with the audio device. Try to play an audio cd then, and see what happens.